What Is Anxiety?
There are over 100 anxiety symptoms and signs for anxiety, panic attacks, and other anxiety disorders including the following:
- “Racing” heart
- Feeling weak, faint, or dizzy
- Tingling or numbness in the hands and fingers
- Sense of terror, or impending doom or death
- Feeling sweaty or having chills
- Chest pains
- Breathing difficulties
- Feeling a loss of control or going crazy
- Neck tension
- Upset stomach, nervous stomach, and nausea
- Sleep problems and inability to rest
What Is Trauma?
Trauma is an emotional response to a terrible event like an accident, violence, rape or natural disaster. Immediately after the event, shock and denial often occur. Longer term reactions include unpredictable emotions, flashbacks, avoidance of triggers, strained relationships and even the symptoms of depression and anxiety. While these feelings are normal, some people have difficulty moving on with their lives.
Anxiety & Trauma Resources
- You Are What You Think by David Stoop
- Switch on Your Brain by Dr. Caroline Leaf
- National Suicide Hotline: 1-800-SUICIDE & 1-800-237-TALK
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE
- Mental Health America — screening tools for depression, anxiety, bipolar, and PTSD
- Psychology Today’s Screening Tests
- Healthy Place’s Online Psychological Screening Tests
For professional depression counseling, call Family Life Counseling at 308-236-2014.
124 W. 46th Street, Suite 204
Kearney, NE 68847
Mon - Friday 9:00 - 5:00
Tuesday & Thursday evenings by appointment only.